Mexico bans glyphosate, 400 thousand producers have already stopped using it

A relevant fact is that approximately 400,000 producers who are part of the Technical Support Strategy, within the Production for Wellbeing program, have chosen to stop using glyphosate in their crops, in line with the Presidential Decree of February 13, 2023 that gradually bans the use of this chemical and cancels its use in 2024.

During a press conference dedicated to reporting on the progress of the program, the undersecretary of Food Self-Sufficiency of the Ministry of Agriculture, Víctor Suárez, pointed out that in the first half of this year a total of one million seven hundred and sixty thousand producers benefited from the direct support from the program and it is expected to close the year with support for 2 million.

A Program to support Producers

The program in question provides direct annual support to 2 million small and medium-scale producers. It will soon celebrate five years of operation. During the current administration, it is estimated that the growing and accumulated budget will reach more than 81 billion pesos by the end of 2024.

He added that Production for Wellbeing is a fundamental part of the government strategy that is committed to food self-sufficiency and the rescue of the countryside and operates integrally together with Sembrando Vida, of the Ministry of Wellbeing and the Fertilizers for Wellbeing, Guarantee Prices and Bienpesca, from the Ministry of Agriculture.

He said that the supported producers “were in many cases on the margins of the public policies of the past, since being small scale they were considered unproductive.” Thanks to the support, families and communities can now achieve food self-sufficiency and generate surpluses to market. It is important to highlight that 84% of the beneficiaries are small-scale producers, while the remaining 16% are medium-scale. This support has been essential to strengthen their productive capacity and improve their quality of life.

The Production for Wellbeing program offers direct help to producers of crops such as corn, beans, wheat, rice, other grains, milpa, coffee, sugar cane, cocoa, honey and cactus that are found on a small or medium scale. At the beginning of the current government, subsidies were only applied to grains, but over time other products have been incorporated as well.

With information Angelica Enciso en nodal.am